Media Arts- DIGITAL STORYTELLING –DIVERSITY Making it Move (animation)
This challenge asked us to create a 6 word story that summed up our journey so far. This was a challenge within itself. I settles on BREATHE. DO. AND CREATE SOME MAGIC!! This is how I feel art is for me. The breathing element symbolises me calming down my anxiety about the process of not being a very creative person. The DO element symbolises the getting it done and seeing where it goes. Then CREATE SOME MAGIC is the end product because like all art work it evokes a sense of wonder in people even if you don’t see it initially yourself.
Seven Elements of Story Telling
1. Point of View – the main point of view of this animation is to tell my story so far relating to creativity
2. A Dramatic Question – not so much a question but a concept of how my journey has evolved so far
3. Emotional Content – Some people have an emotional connection to a journey of creative thinking, for me its an emotional journey as I start off with an ‘I can’t do it’ attitude to a ‘you can do it …. but slowly’.
4. The Gift of Your Voice –
5. The Power of the Soundtrack – The music is upbeat which shows the audience that it can be an exciting journey
6. Economy – simple images and text is used so that the viewer picks up the main parts of the story rather than being overloaded with information that is not relevant
7. Pacing – The rhythm of the story and how slowly or quickly it progresses.
The journey to create this digital animation …. critical reflection
I used ‘The Gibb’s Reflective Learning Cycle’ to assist me with my reflection (The University of Sheffield, 2022).
My planning process perhaps wasn’t as immaculate as the activity demanded. I did not story board just had a vision and ran with it. The idea was simple, to use text and some pictures then add some uplifting audio to create a sense of ‘I can do this!’ and for the viewer to be taken on that journey. The 6 letter story was extremely prevalent within my creative process, I had panic and no faith in my creative ability, so I breathed and reminded myself that art is always a work in progress- it may not be up to standard for some peoples opinions however it could be for others. Then I got together my materials and started the project. Working out how to use the Stop Motion app was not difficult and was very straight forward. I can see now how fun this was after doing it. I will certainly use it in the future for other projects. The music I decided to couple with the stop motion animation was uplifting, bringing the viewer on the journey and letting them know this is not a scary process, it can be fun! The last stage of creating the magic I decided to use one of my self portraits that I did for challenge 1, this seemed like a perfect tie in as this is explaining my journey so far with the arts. It hit home the importance of The Arts, and how they stimulate and enable students learning (Roy, et al. 2019).
In the classroom- Year 3&4
- Investigate and devise representations of people in their community, including themselves, through settings, ideas and story structure in images, sounds and text (ACAMAM058 – Scootle )
- Use media technologies to create time and space through the manipulation of images, sounds and text to tell stories (ACAMAM059 – Scootle )
- Plan, create and present media artworks for specific purposes with awareness of responsible media practice (ACAMAM060 – Scootle )
- Identify intended purposes and meanings of media artworks, using media arts key concepts, starting with media artworks in Australia including media artworks of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Peoples (ACAMAR061 – Scootle )
Students will receive an introductory lesson surrounding purpose and meaning of media artworks. YouTube videos will be chosen to enhance learning and show those of different cultures. As a class we will explore images which pertain to that of our students heritage and culture and those of our community. This pertains to the content descriptor of Investigate and devise representations of people in their community, including themselves, through settings, ideas and story structure in images, sounds and text (ACAMAM058 – Scootle ).
As a whole class we will look at stop motion and how to develop a video using this app. The teacher will explicitly teach this. The students will then choose a topic from the community and break off into group of 4 to convey this using images, sounds and text to create their story.
The University of Sheffield. (2022). Reflective Practice. https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/ssid/301/study-skills/university-study/reflective-practice